Sunday 8 May 2011

7. Looking back at the prelim task, what do you think you have learnt the progression from it to the full task?


I believe that there is a number of areas in which I have progressed in in terms of ability from the preliminary task to the full product. I think that one area I have learnt about and improved in is my performance on-camera during the full task. During even a relativeI believe that there is a number of areas in which I have progressed in in terms of ability from the preliminary task to the full product. I think that one area I have learnt about and improved in is my performance on-camera during the full task. During even a relatively basic task such as the preliminary I was evidently nervous and perhaps originally slightly uncomfortable about being on camera and had to get out of bad original habits such as talking into the camera as opposed to other characters and not timing the start of my lines correctly.


I have also improved on and learnt a lot about the importance of working well as a group on a project such as this. During a small task like the preliminary this wasn’t so evidently needed but it was still vital that we worked well as a group as we had to get it right both on and off camera as well as when it came to the editing stage of the task. With the full task, it was much more important that we worked well as a group and broke up separate tasks and jobs accordingly between members of the group. With regard to planning the film as a group, I have learnt that it is vital to split up planning jobs amongst members of the group with jobs such as the shooting map, writing the storyboards and planning the storyline itself. I have also learnt a great amount about working together during the shoot of the full task. My learning of the timings between starting the camera and commencing the action in the scene, particularly during the sniper scene, has definitely improved and it was vital that it did as everybody had to be in the right place at the right time in order for this ambitious scene to work.


Our skills with the camera also, in my opinion, hugely progressed between the preliminary task and the full product. During the preliminary task our camera work was extremely poor and the handheld work with the camera was very shaky and unreliable. However, mainly due to quite a high amount of practice during the making of the full product, our camera work improved quite dramatically and we was now able to also hold a camera steady as a handheld for a long amount of time and this was especially important as a number of the closing camera shots involved us using the camera handheld.


Finally, I believe that the most important thing I have learnt about film-making during this process is that you do need to have patience, especially during more ambitious scenes and that you will never get every single shot right in the first couple of takes

No comments:

Post a Comment